July 20, 2011

This a picture of Alice or me?

When I was in the 5th grade I was ill with the flu and I had time on my hands so I read Alice In Wonderland, oh I loved it. Below is an old drawing I did when I was 20. I was married when I was 19, both of us were way too young and my Dad had pushed us into this. I wanted to have a child so badly I would cry, he did not. He said I was raised to think that way and I should not tie him down, his friends told me the same. I think perhaps I could have raised a child at that time if I was married to a different man but he was right, it was not the time for us. Years later we broke up partly over this issue. 

This a picture of Alice or me?

When I was 23 I found the funds to go to college and study art, I told my Father what I planned to do, he laughed in my face and told me art was only for rich people to study. Now I am saying this not to make excuses for myself, I don’t need any excuses, I have done quite well for myself. When I had mentioned on another site that I had chronic migraines someone wrote that I was making excuses for myself, no I am not, I don’t need to make an excuse but I want to tell my story, the story of one artist. Many people have obstacles’ to overcome, perhaps all of us do. Meeting challenges in life gives us color and flavor that is translated into our art.

Below is a drawing I did in high school when I was 15, I was sent to my room to study in the evening but I was very unhappy in school and I mostly drew. In the big oak desk that used to be my father’s I found many dip pens and ink so with this and pencils I could occupy my time in a way that seemed more useful and certainly more fulfilling.

Below is a drawing I did when I was 15


No comments:

Post a Comment