October 6, 2011

Steven Paul Jobs, In Memoriam: Girl With Apple

 We bought our first Apple Computer in 1987 when our daughter Leela was only two years old. She loved drawing on that computer. Now as an adult she is a Computer Graphic Artist working in the video game industry where she specializes in environments especially trees and plants.

Here is Leela with her apple,
I sketched this from life.

Leela received her Master Of Science Degree in Interactive Entertainment (FIEA) at the University of Central Florida, Orlando
Master Of Science Degree in Interactive Entertainment (FIEA)
  the University of Central Florida Graduation
This is a sketch I drew of the graduation ceremony while viewing from the upper balcony of the stadium. 

Here are a few sketches of Leela as a baby. I like drawing the perpetual motion; girl drawn from life when she was asleep.


And here she is recently caught sleeping.

My husband Gaetano, AKA Guy and I named her Leela after a character from the popular British PBS program Dr Who. But later we found out her name is a sacred Hindu name meaning, Cosmic Play or Divine Creation, interesting coincidence now that she is involved with creating video games. 
Leela and Dr Who

So I was thinking how Steven Paul Jobs has influenced our lives and the lives of so many with the top of the line graphic art computer.  I send my blessings to you Steven Paul Jobs, as you continue your journey into that cosmic play, AKA divine creation, which you and all of us are a part of.

Best wishes
Aleada Siragusa

  Here is an extended version of my memorial post, published by Ezine Articles.

Steven Paul Jobs, Memoriam: Girl With Apple, a 

Video Game Artist
Born in 1950, I don't remember our first TV, but my older sister and brother do. It seems every generation has its inventive milestone that helps form the next generation's world. As large as the Television was in creating the world we live in perhaps Plastic's plays a larger role.

My father, Thomas Henry Rogers, became a Chemical Engineer working with Polymer Chemistry for Goodyear Tire and Rubber in the early 1940's when plastics were just beginning to be invented. He told me once the chemists at that time thought plastics would save the world by producing an inexpensive readily available way to make goods in a burgeoning population. My father held many patents but was most known for a major patent in the development of Polyurethane.

I compare the excitement the WWII generation had in the development of plastic with my generation and the development of computers. If you are around my age 61, you will remember the popular movie The Graduate, which gave stardom to Dustin Hoffman. Dustin was told by the father of his girlfriend; Plastics, that is where the future lies, in Plastics. Now I'm sure many people in my generation would give and has given this advice to their children; get involved with computers because that's where it's all happening, in computers.

I remember seeing my first computer in 1969, it was at Dartmouth College in Hanover New Hampshire and it was housed in a large building. It really couldn't do much of anything. In the late 1970's with personal computers beginning to be, "user friendly" and families started buying computers for personal use.

We bought our first Apple Computer in 1987 when our daughter Leela was only two years old. Even back then there were child friendly educational programs we could buy for her and a few art related programs that she loved. She loved painting on that computer.

Now as an adult she is a Computer Graphic Artist working in the video game industry where she specializes in environments especially trees and plants.

Three years ago Leela received her Master Of Science Degree in Interactive Entertainment from Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy,(FIEA) at the University of Central Florida, Orlando. The three semester intensive program offers a project based gaming education that allow the students to be part of a team as they would in real video game production. They work with fellow students who work as producers, programmers, and artists on real world projects all overseen by some of the best gaming faculty in the world. 

Since then, until last month, she was working for Electronic Arts in Orlando Florida in environments, mainly trees and shrubs for the Tiger Woods PGA Tour Video Games.

My husband Gaetano and I named Leela after a character from the popular British PBS program Dr Who. We love this character Leela because although she was considered a "primitive" by the Doctor's standards she would outsmart Dr Who (that is Dr Who #4) time and again using her intuitive knowledge, much to the Doctor's chagrin. A few years later we found out her name Leela, is a sacred Hindu name meaning, Cosmic Play or Divine Creation, such an interesting coincidence now that she is involved with creating video games.

So I was thinking how Steven Paul Jobs has influenced our lives and the lives of so many with his top of the line graphic art computer. I send my blessings to you Steven Paul Jobs, as you continue your journey into that cosmic play, AKA divine creation, which you and all of us are a part of.


Aleada Siragusa
View this article published by Ezine Articles.



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I enjoyed your words and artwork. I stumbled upon this post looking for a drawing tutorial. I'm glad I did!

    Peace,
    Trish

    ReplyDelete