September 2, 2011

Art Makes Us Better Human’s


As I stated in my last blog, “I get concerned when people tell me they can’t do art. You are missing out on one of the great joys in life, visual creative expression.”

Today my blog was going to be about basic art making for people needing to unleash the artist with in but I have changed tack and this post will have to wait for next week when I will  show some hands on fun approaches to developing the artist with in, but first I want to share this with with you, read what Temple Grandin says about the importance of an Art Education.


I am currently reading
Animals Make us Human by Temple Grandin PH.D.

Read what this preeminent scientist in the field of animal behavior says about the importance of art:
{from page 187, Animals Make Us Human} “I see all kinds of problems with college students who have never had an art class or built anything themselves. This lack of hands on experience really hurts their understanding of how different things relate to each other in the physical world.”
“Since around 2000, the percentage of students having difficulty with drawings has increased due to lack of hands on experience with drawing in grade school.”
  Temple Grandin is an American doctor of animal science and professor at Colorado State University. She credits much of her insights to being born with autism which gives her a unique way of learning and insights into animal behavior.
I also feel connected to animals, I have dyslexia and this, according to Temple Grandin is akin to autism in that I learn more by sight and feel.
I highly recommend this book, it is fascinating and helpful in making our world a better place.
Also you can get some practical tips on training pets, even cats.
Dr Temple Grandin’s Official Autism Website
Biography
Video clips


If you have any comments on this subject, please feel free to post to me on this blog. Aleada





No comments:

Post a Comment