June 26, 2011

Our Oriental Pond Garden


Our Oriental Pond Garden


"Our Oriental Garden" was created in oil on board; painting outside from life. This style of painting is also known as plein air painting. The focal point in the painting is the Oriental statue of Quan Yin, who is holding a jar in which the healing love of compassion flows out upon the world. I studied Oriental Painting and used these brush strokes in this picture to define the leaves, which were individually evident because this is a closer range landscape. The garden faces our kitchen window so we have observed many birds and some other animals enjoying a drink here. 

Below are two preliminary watercolor paintings I created before I did the oil painting. 


  
 I studied Oriental Painting and I also taught this style of paintings for several years. I find it has enhanced my western painting techniques and my painting ability as well as given me many hours of pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment